If you’ve got something on your mind, why not send a prayer request via email or complete a prayer card to be found at the back of each church or on the pews of each church.
Below is a short description of each church, location and link to a google map for directions. The beautiful illustrations were painted by the late Jan Faithfull a parishioner of Little Easton.
Norman in origin, built on the site of a Saxon structure; some medieval wall paintings still survive.
The actress Dame Ellen Terry was a frequent visitor to Little Easton and is commemorated by a brass plaque.
The USA Air Force 386th Bombardment Group known as “The Crusaders” was stationed at Little Easton during World War II. A chapel and two stained glass windows honour them.
Little Easton Church
Park Road, Little Easton, Dunmow CM6 2JJ
OS ref TL 604235 Google Map
The present structure is early Norman, but replaced a Saxon structure on the site.
The large quantity of Roman brick and tiles used in the construction suggests even earlier structures. Extensive 19th and 20th century restorations include the notable reredos and the new tower, renovated in 1928.
The church boasts a fine peal of bells, rung regularly by an enthusiastic team. It is also popular with visiting ringers.
Great Easton St John and St Giles
The Endway, CM6 2HF
OS ref TL 607254 Google Map
A Grade I listed church of outstanding historical and architectural interest.
Originally the gatehouse chapel of a great Cistercian Abbey, which was destroyed soon after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. It has an enormous and striking east window of reticulated stone tracery and a high ceiling with the original 12th century beams.
Tilty church contains many interesting features and was made the subject of a survey by the Church Recorders in 2007. Find out more about the Tilty projects.
Tilty St Mary the Virgin
Church Road, CM6 2EG
OS ref TL 599265 Google Map
Occupying an ancient Celtic site, this 12th and 13th century building replaces, and incorporates parts of, an earlier Saxon structure.
The church was extensively restored in 1876, when the weather-boarded belfry was completely rebuilt.
It contains a fine carved wood pulpit dating from the 17th century and the stained glass “Hostage” windows by John K. Clark, which commemorate the five year ordeal of local journalist John McCarthy and his fellow Beirut hostages.
Broxted St Mary the Virgin
Thaxted Road, Church End, CM6 2BZ
OS ref TL 578 273 Google Map
An atmospheric and remote preConquest church.
Approaching from the west one first sees the 14th century tower, capped by a shingled pyramidal roof, but beyond are the Saxon nave and chancel, extended eastwards early in King Henry III’s reign.
The unspoilt interior is a delight, with its brick floors, 14th century king-post roof, a richly carved 15th century font, a Georgian pulpit and a squint giving a view to the altar with its mediaeval mensa slab. This is a remarkable survival of a largely unaltered Saxon building. A number of the original windows remain. The chancel was extended in the early 13th century and a west tower added in the 14th century; these are clear additions to the original simple chapel.
The church contains a very fine octagonal stone font from the 14th century. The medieval stone altar slab was buried in the churchyard to save it from destruction during the Reformation. In 1858 it was rediscovered and returned to the altar.
The parish of Chickney was amalgamated with Broxted in 1889. The church itself is now a redundant church in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. It is still used for occasional services but weddings and baptisms do require a special licence. Information about special licences can be found at the Archbishop’s Faculty Office E-mail www.facultyoffice.org.uk/special-licences
Chickney St Mary
Broxted, CM6 2BY
OS ref TL574 280 Google Map – Chickney St Mary is quite difficult to find and is situated 4m SW of Thaxted off B1051 set within a ring of trees, beside a lane leading to Chickney Hall.